What is a Registed Dietition (RD) and how is that different than Nutritionist?
A registered dietitian must complete the required coursework to obtain a Bachelor’s degree from an approved university and complete a one year (or 900 hour) dietetic internship program. Additionally, RD’s must pass a national certification exam to become registered. The term “nutritionist” means very little, as most people can obtain a “nutritionist” certification easily via the internet. Pennsylvania law requires that anyone who works professionally as a nutritionist be licensed and obtain the LDN credential (Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist).
Why meet with an RD?
A registered dietitian can work closely with you to make sure you are following a proper diet that is both healthy and will meet your dietary needs and goals. Dietitians have years of training and are the most reliable source of information to obtain information related to food and nutrition. RD’s are the experts when it comes to food and nutrition and they base their recommendations on research and science. An RD can work with you to allow you to lose weight in a healthy manner, help you understand food allergies and intolerances, and work with you regarding other topics related to health, wellness, food, nutrition, and diet.
Meet our RD, Kelly!
Kelly is a Conestoga High School alumna who received her B.S. in Nutritional Sciences from Penn State University. She then completed her dietetic internship and received her Master’s degree in Human Nutrition from the University of Delaware, where she also served as a teaching assistant for two years. Kelly spends time in Avalon, NJ and has worked at Cape Regional Medical Center for three summers as a dietetic intern and diet technician. In addition, Kelly also has experience working with Joy Bauer, who is NBC’s “Today Show” nutritionist, and worked as a contractor for Dr. Melina Jampolis who is CNN’s Health and Fitness expert (and formerly had a show called “Diet Doctor” on FitTV). Kelly has spoken to coaches and sports teams about sports nutrition at local colleges including LaSalle, Villanova, and Goldey-Beacom. Nutrition aside, Kelly enjoys running, cycling, kickboxing, kettle bell, yoga, cooking, baking, sailing, traveling, and going to the beach.
Kelly’s Nutrition Blog
Check out Kelly’s blog to keep up to date on nutrition research, find some interesting recipes, and just learn more about food! http://kellyspantry.blogspot.com/
Philly Health Watch
Kelly is a contributing editor to Philly Health Watch, an online magazine dedicated to health, fitness, and overall wellness in the Philadelphia area. Find Kelly’s monthly articles here:http://phillyhealthwatch.com/author/kelly-strogen/
Nutrition Consultation Rates and Programs
- Independence Blue Cross, HIGHMARK Federal Employee Program, Independence Administrators, or AmeriHealth members- 6 completely free sessions each year for most plans (1 hour initial evaluation and 5 (30-45 min) follow-ups)
- AETNA Members- 10 completely free sessions each year paid by Aetna for most plans (referral may be required)
- Complementary 15 minute Consult – Meet with Kelly to discuss your nutritional goals, get some quick tips, and see what programs would be the best fit for you.
- 1 hr + 1 (30 min) follow-up – Initial consultation, evaluation, assessment and dietary analysis- $200
- PREMIUM PACKAGE (most popular) 1 hr + 2 (30 min) follow-ups – Includes initial evaluation, baseline diet analysis, meal plan, and dietary recommendations- $240
- E-Client Package – Don’t live near the club? No problem! Kelly is able to speak with you over the phone and send you everything you need via email. This package includes a 45-60 minute phone call for the initial evaluation and 2 follow-up phone calls where Kelly will discuss your baseline diet analysis and individualized meal plan (which will be emailed to you). $220
- Recipe Analysis – Ever wondered what the nutritional value of your mother’s famous apple cake is? Or how about Uncle Joe’s super meaty lasagna? Send Kelly the recipe and she will break down the nutritional value by serving size!- $25/recipe
- Diet Analysis – Record what you eat for 3 days and have Kelly provide you with just the nutritional analysis and printouts. This option is for those that are busy and do not have time to meet in person or are just curious about the adequacy of their diet. $75/ 3 day analysis (optional 15 minute phone consult or email consult can be added for $15)
- Meal Plans – Kelly will determine the calorie level for the amount of weight you want to lose in a specified time and create meal plans (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks) based on your food and diet preferences. This meal plan should last you several weeks of new meal and snack ideas. $80/8 days
- Sports Nutrition Lectures – Kelly is available to speak to sports teams and/or coaching and fitness staff about nutritional requirements for athletes of various sports. Previous speaking engagements have included talking to all student athletes at Goldey-Beacom College, the women’s soccer team at LaSalle University, and coaches and athletic staff at Villanova University. Rates vary for group size and topic. References available upon request.
- Corporate Lunch ‘n Learns – Kelly is available to provide educational seminars related to healthy eating for companies. References available upon request. Rates vary for group size and topic.
- Other Speaking Engagements- With extensive experience in public speaking, Kelly is available to speak to groups of any size and topic. Let her know what you are looking for and she can create a presentation tailored to your group’s specific needs! Rates vary for group size and topic.
Nutrition Consultation available for:
Pregnancy, pediatric nutrition, marathon/athletic competition training, general sports nutrition, weight management, diabetes, eating disorders, improving cholesterol values, overall healthy eating, specialty diets (gluten-free, allergies, organic, lactose-intolerance, etc.) and more!
For more information on our nutrition program, e-mail Kelly: Nutrition@clublamaison.com